It’s a big question we receive often, from church leaders and families in the trenches: how can the church better support foster and adoptive families?
Unfortunately, over the past 15 years we’ve been on this journey, we’ve seen a few churches get this extremely right, but many get it extremely wrong. Personally, our family has walked through a few situations where the church was no support at all. But, we believe in the church and the impact it can have in this world, and for foster and adoptive families.
That’s why we’re discussing some key steps the church can take to better support families who are in the trenches of foster care and adoption on today’s episode of Honestly Speaking.
Listen To The Episode.
Notes And Quotes From The Show.
Here’s a quick rundown of the 4 keys that Mike talked about during the show…
- Create a safe space, that’s judgement free.
- Provide support that is genuine.
- Provide resources (such as training sessions, support groups, interviews with key influencers)
- Carve out space in your budget to financially support foster and adoptive families.
- Continue to encourage families to keep going.
Resources and Links.
Here are some resources we mentioned during the show and a few ministries that are actively supporting foster and adoptive families within the church:
- Road Trip: Colorado– our experience created especially for foster and adoptive dads. Registration is now open!
- The Refresh Conference: Chicago
- Replanted Ministry
- Overlake Christian Church
Question: Got a question or want to share some additional thoughts? Leave a comment in the comment section below. You can leave a comment by clicking here.
Get our brand new Self-Care guide for FREE!
We've custom-designed the Self-Care Quick Start Guide Info-graphic and Video to help you take simple steps to improving your emotional, spiritual, and physical health as a parent. Trust us, we know how difficult this journey can be. But you don't have to do it alone. Let us help you! Self-care begins here and it's completely FREE when you subscribe to our blog!