Let’s uncover some untrue and unfair stigmas about adopting and parenting children with HIV. Many people are still terrified of this disease but at the same time remain uneducated. Even if you think this disease does not affect you, chances are, both you and your children interact daily with other children or adults with HIV who are dealing with feelings of isolation or depression that come from living with the stigmas of this disease. This is something we all need to think about.
Listen in as Mike interviews Michelle McKinney: blogger, wife, adoptive mom of 4, and one of our amazing Care Team Members from Oasis Community. Michelle shares what she has learned about HIV as she and her husband, Mark, have moved through their adoption and parenting journey.
Listen to the Episode.
Notes and Quotes from the Show.
Some basic facts…
- HIV is not transmitted very easily, but, it can be fatal.
- It is spread through unprotected sex, blood transfusions, sharing needles, and breastfeeding.
- HIV is not a death sentence.
- There is medication for HIV that should be started as soon as possible and taken as prescribed, with which an individual with HIV can live a normal lifespan.
- Testing for HIV throughout your life is important.
- There are criminal laws out there for this disease with harsh, unnecessary penalties and this is not going away anytime soon.
Stuff Michelle has learned about adopting and parenting children with HIV…
“This is a lonely journey”
“I have to be the advocate in all these realms. That weighs on me…”
“My kids have a hidden special need.”
Families and individuals struggle because the need is “hidden” and it is isolating.
You have to find someone you can be real with so you don’t become bitter.
Resources and Links.
CDC.gov is the site for medical answers about HIV
You can check out Michelle’s blog at thoughtsfrommichelleskitchen.com
Question: Do you have a question on today’s episode, or a comment? Share with us in the comment section below. You can leave a comment by clicking here.
Get our brand new Self-Care guide for FREE!
We've custom-designed the Self-Care Quick Start Guide Info-graphic and Video to help you take simple steps to improving your emotional, spiritual, and physical health as a parent. Trust us, we know how difficult this journey can be. But you don't have to do it alone. Let us help you! Self-care begins here and it's completely FREE when you subscribe to our blog!