Stressed out about finances again? Wish you could save more money and eliminate debt? Is that even possible for families who have many children and are in debt from adoption, cars, or other major expenses?
Welcome Back! We are kicking off Season 9 of the Honestly Adoption Podcast with an incredible episode! Brian and Cherie Lowe join our hosts, Mike and Kristin Berry, to talk about why eliminating debt can help bring peace to your home, your heart, and your marriage and share some practical strategies for how you can do this even in a large foster or adoptive family.
Notes and Quotes:
“There’s no good time to begin paying off debt, there’s only today.” – Cherie Lowe
In April 2008 Brian and Cherie were expecting a new little one and also began their journey of paying off debt. By March of 2012, less than 4 years later, we had paid off $127,482.30 in debt!
“It was challenging but we would do it all over again in a heartbeat.”
Why should we strive to live debt free?
“The peace that comes from not having debt is immeasurable!” – Cherie Lowe
The difference (financially) you can make in the world is great if you aren’t investing it all in paying off interest and debt.
Practically speaking, how can large families save on grocery bills?
Implement choice elimination strategies (or you will give in from decision fatigue and exhaustion and buy what is easy):
- Have a list and shop from it
- Share your list with your spouse
- Let your kids add to the list (with a limited budget and some guidelines)
What about shopping wisely for clothing?
- Have a budget in mind before shopping
- Take an inventory before shopping so you know what your true needs are
- Be smart about using rewards programs when offered
- Search for coupons on your iphone before checking out
How can eliminating debt help marriages?
- Know what your goals are as a family
- Know what your values are as a family
- Know what your needs are as a family
Many families feel pressured or want to let their kids do many extra activities. How can families afford all of these?
- Limit the number of activities per child, per season to one or two things.
- Count the cost in time, money, and priorities
- Don’t overcommit your kids
- Ask, “Will this bring life to our family and to our child.”
- Make sure it is something the child is also interested in and not just a parent’s dream.
- Nurture relationships and don’t let extracurricular activities take over.
- Help the children learn to contribute to activities they want to take part in
- Find ways to volunteer or barter to reduce participation fees
- Make sure the children take ownership of their activities
“Talk to kids like they are adults but realize that they are children.” – Brian Lowe
“Saying yes to something is saying no to something else.” – Cherie Lowe
What hope is there for families struggling with debt and money problems?
“You are not alone.”
“You are loved: there are others on this journey, and you need their help.”
“The darkness hates the light. If you are living in a state of hopelessness, drive that into the light.” – Brian Lowe
Resources and Links:
Brian and Cherie are known as the King and Queen of Free and blog at www.QueenOfFree.net. They want others to know that there is hope for getting their finances under control, beginning with figuring out ways to save money as they slay the “debt dragon.”
You can connect with the King and Queen of Free on Twitter (@thequeenoffree), Facebook (www.facebook.com/thequeenoffree), or Pinterest (www.pinterest.com/thequeenoffree) to find practical money-saving tips and daily inspiration to slay the debt dragon.
Cherie and Brian are currently writing their second book: Your Money, Your Marriage: The Secrets to Smart Finance, Spicy Romance, and Their Intimate Connection, due out September 2018.
Question: What did you learn from the Season 9 debut? Share with us in the comment section below. You can leave a comment by clicking here.
Get our latest eBook for FREE!
Let’s be honest: parenting is exhausting. You feel worn out, foggy & can’t remember the last time you got a full night’s sleep. That’s why we’ve put together a FREE guide with easy-to-apply, rest multiplying hacks for busy parents. You’re just 9 days away from feeling rested, refreshed & reenergized!