On today’s episode of the The Honestly Adoption Podcast we are continuing our series called “Is It Disobedience Or Something Else,” by answering the question, “Is it disobedience or lack of executive functioning?” Our show is now available to watch on YouTube. Check it out..
For the next several weeks we are asking the question, “Is it disobedience or something else?” The reality is, children who have experienced significant trauma display behaviors that can often be misinterpreted as disobedience. But the truth is, there is so much more going on.
Listen to the audio player now:
- Click here to visit the our show’s webpage
- Click here to subscribe to our YouTube page
- Click here to subscribe on iTunes
- Click here to subscribe on Stitcher
- Click here to subscribe on Spotify
- Also available on the Google Podcast App
On Today’s Show We Discuss…
What Is Executive Functioning?
- A person’s ability to think, plan, do day-to-day tasks
- Self control
- Working memory
- The ability to plan ahead
- Complete tasks
- Be flexible
What does Executive Functioning look like?
- Hot stove
- Getting ready for school
- Playing with friends, or functioning in social situations
What can we do?
- Bite size pieces of information
- Practice builds habit
- Be the external brain
- Accommodate, do not enable
Question: After listening to, or watching, today’s show, what additional questions do you have? Leave us a comment in the comment section below this post. You can leave a comment by clicking here.
Get our latest eBook for FREE!
Let’s be honest: parenting is exhausting. You feel worn out, foggy & can’t remember the last time you got a full night’s sleep. That’s why we’ve put together a FREE guide with easy-to-apply, rest multiplying hacks for busy parents. You’re just 9 days away from feeling rested, refreshed & reenergized!