Don’t miss this powerful theatrical event debuting tonight and running through this Thursday, March 5th. If you’re wondering why Orphan Care is such a big deal, check out these staggering statistics:
- There are between 143 million and 210 million orphans worldwide. To put into perspective how staggering this number is, the current population of the United States is just a little over 300 million.
- According to data released in 2003, as many as eight million boys and girls around the world live in institutional care. Some studies have found that violence in residential institutions is six times higher than violence in foster care, and that children in group care are almost four times more likely to experience sexual abuse than children in family based care.
- Every day 5,760 more children become orphans.
- Approximately 250,000 children are adopted annually, but…
- Each year 14, 505,000 children grow up as orphans and age out of the system by age sixteen.
- Studies have shown that 10% – 15% of these children commit suicide before they reach age eighteen.
- These studies also show that 60% of the girls become prostitutes and 70% of the boys become hardened criminals.
- Another study reported that of the 15,000 orphans aging out of state-run institutions every year, 10% committed suicide, 5,000 were unemployed, 6,000 were homeless and 3,000 were in prison within three years.
- An estimated 1.2 million children are trafficked every year; (THE STATE OF THE WORLD’S CHILDREN, 2005) 2 million children, the majority of them girls, are sexually exploited in the multibillion-dollar commercial sex industry. (THE STATE OF THE WORLD’S CHILDREN, 2005)(Statistics Source- Orphan Hope International)
Friends, The Drop Box is one movie you can’t afford to miss. This is a worldwide epidemic that is not decreasing in numbers anytime soon. These children need a voice, they need love, and they need hope. The Drop Box will tune your heart to this and change your perspective. It may even change your entire life. Here’s a little more about the movie:
The Drop Box tells the story of South Korean pastor Lee Jong-rak and his heroic efforts to embrace and protect the most vulnerable members of society. It is a heart-wrenching exploration of the physical, emotional and financial toll associated with providing refuge to orphans that would otherwise be abandoned on the streets. But The Drop Box movie is also a story of hope—a reminder that every human life is sacred and worthy of love.
For more information, to find a theater near you, or to buy tickets, click the info-graphic below…